Counter

Free Hit Counter

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hong Kong as a Sauna

It is May and Hong Kong is now a sauna.  I have been working at accepting this as they way life will be up until the time I leave at the end of June.  A cold front will not be coming through.  It will not cool off in the evening.

My apartment used to the be the place of calm after facing the crowds of the city.  But no more.  Everyone has individual room air conditioners that have two or three settings--"low" shoots cold air;  "medium" blasts cold air;  "high" is a monsoon of cold air.  And of course, the noise is constant.  So you have a choice of being in a sauna, or being in an environment like a cold airplane with constant noise in the background.

I have tried everything to get around this.  I try turning on the bedroom air conditioner and then blowing the cool air into the living room--it can't keep up with the humidity.  When I sleep, I've tried to cool the room off and then turn on the fan.  It doesn't work. And of course, when you get up in the morning and open the bedroom door you walk into the sauna.

And then there is the problem with my laptop computer.  It is a midlatitude laptop computer that thrives on cooler temperatures and low humidity.  In order to keep it from crashing I have to have the air conditioning on and a fan blowing on it to keep it cool.  Have you ever tried to skype with a room air conditioner and a fan blowing on your computer?

I have never thought of the serenity prayer applying to climate, but I find myself mumbling regularly:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

1 comment:

  1. I WILL BE SPENDING THE MONTH OF JUNE IN TUCSON, AZ WHERE THE TEMPERATURE WILL BE 120 DEGREES OR MORE. AIR CONDITIONING DOESN'T HELP THERE EITHER AND NEITHER DOES THE FACT THAT IT'S DRY HEAT. THEN I LIVED IN NAPLES, FL, WHERE THE MINUTE YOU OPEN THE DOOR THIS TIME OF YEAR, YOU CAN'T BREATHE BECAUSE OF THE HUMIDITY. SO, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH AND YOU HAVE MY SYMPATHY. TIME FOR YOU TO COME HOME. LOVE, DONNA

    ReplyDelete