Counter

Free Hit Counter

Friday, January 8, 2010

Our first day

We had a busy first day. Karis spent the morning on skype with friends while I went with my hosts from the university. They were wonderful in getting me through paperwork at the HR office, and settled in my office. My office is actually in the office tower in the Festival Walk mall. And at the bottom of the elevator is a Starbucks.

We went and got Karis for lunch and then managed to get cell phones, go to a grocery store so we had food, and get a bank account established which involved meeting a someone from the Fulbright office with my paycheck, and someone from HR with a letter formalizing my address at the same time at the bank. Everyone has been incredibly helpful and I've had someone with me along the way to translate which has made the process go faster.

Karis ended the day by meeting the friend/classmate she has been corresponding with over facebook and skype for supper. They went off on the train to meet a group of girls from the school. We managed to stay awake the entire day so we slept pretty well last night.

I'm in the office today while Karis skypes at home. I have lunch today with another Fulbright person who is at Baptist University across the street and my first meeting with afternoon. Karis may go off with her friend today to buy her school uniform. It is great having Karis at this age where she can be quite independent!

The word is--chocolate is greatly valued. If you come see us, bring us chocolate chips so we can make cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment